The influence that greenery makes in the look and feel of a space cannot be overstated. But then, real plants are not for everyone. For people who can’t commit to the demanding maintenance of a real plant, faux greenery can be used to replicate, and even more. But to make fake plants look real and perform extraordinarily, you must ensure they are kept clean, else there will be evident signs that they are not real.
How to clean artificial trees, flowers, and plants is pretty easy and inexpensive. Just by dusting them, they will be radiant for years to come.
Importance of Cleaning Artificial Plants
There are various benefits entrenched in cleaning artificial plants. Here are they:
- Aesthetics: Dust and dirt accumulate on faux plants over time, making them look dull and unattractive. Regular cleaning helps to restore their original appearance and keep them looking vibrant and fresh.
- Health: Artificial plants accumulate dust, pollen, and other allergens, which can trigger allergies and other respiratory issues. Regular plant cleaning removes allergens and improves indoor air quality.
- Longevity: Accumulated dust and dirt can also damage the fabric or material of fake plants over time, leading to discoloration or deterioration. Regular cleaning can help to prolong the lifespan of your artificial plants.
- Enhancing the Decor: Clean artificial plants can enhance the overall decor of your home or office space. They can make a great addition to any space, providing a natural and calming atmosphere.
- Easy maintenance: Unlike live plants, artificial plants are low maintenance and do not require regular watering or fertilization. However, they do require regular cleaning to maintain their appearance and health benefits.
- Improving mental health: Studies have shown that being surrounded by nature has a positive impact on mental health. Fake plants can provide a similar effect, and regular cleaning can help to enhance their natural appearance and benefits.
How Does Dirt Accumulate on Fake Plants
Dirt can accumulate on fake plants due to a variety of reasons, including:
- Natural elements: Just like real plants, fake plants can be exposed to natural elements such as dust, dirt, and pollen. These elements can easily settle on the surface of the plant and accumulate over time.
- Indoor air quality: Faux plants are often placed indoors, where they can be exposed to poor air quality. This can lead to the accumulation of dust, smoke, and other pollutants, which can settle on the surface of the plant.
- Handling: Fake plants can be touched and handled by people, which can transfer oils, dirt, and other contaminants onto the surface of the plant.
- Location: The location of the plant can also play a role in how much dirt and dust accumulates on it. For example, if it’s located in a high-traffic area or near an open window, it may accumulate more dirt and dust than if it were in a less busy area.
How to Clean Your Artificial Plants
Cleaning your fake plants is not difficult and you likely have everything you need on hand. These are 3 major methods that can be explored to remove dirt from plants.
The Shower Method
This is one of the easiest and most effective ways to clean artificial plants.
- Take the plant outside and give it a good shake to remove any loose dust or debris.
- Wrap a garbage bag around any part of the plant that shouldn’t be exposed to liquid.
- Turn on the shower and set it to a gentle spray. Place the plant under the shower head and let the water run over it for a few minutes. Make sure you’re not using hot water, as this can damage the plant’s material.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe down the leaves and remove any remaining dirt or grime.
- Shake off any excess water and allow the plant to air dry completely before placing it back indoors.
The Leaf-by-Leaf Method
This method involves cleaning each leaf individually to ensure a thorough cleaning. You can’t use this approach for fake plant bulk as this process demands a lot of time.
- Take a microfiber cloth or a soft-bristled brush and gently wipe down each leaf, starting from the top and working your way down.
- If there are any hard-to-reach spots, use a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently clean them.
- Once you’ve cleaned all the leaves, give the entire plant a shake to remove any remaining dust or debris.
- If there are any stubborn spots, you can use a small amount of soap and water to clean them, but be sure to rinse thoroughly and dry completely before placing the plant back indoors.
The Vinegar Method
This method is used if water alone doesn’t work. Use vinegar as a natural cleaning solution to remove dirt and grime.
- Mix equal quantities of water and white vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution onto the plant, making sure to cover all the leaves.
- Let the solution sit for a few minutes to loosen any dirt or grime.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge to gently wipe down each leaf, starting from the top and working your way down.
- Rinse the plant thoroughly with water and shake off any excess water.
- Allow the plant to air dry completely before placing it back indoors.
How to Clean Silk Plants and Silk Flowers
Silk plants and silk flowers require a slightly different approach to cleaning compared to other types of artificial plants because of the way they are designed.
- Dusting: The easiest way to clean silk plants and flowers is to use a soft-bristled brush or a feather duster to remove any loose dust or debris. Gently brush each leaf or petal to remove any dirt or dust, working from the top of the plant down to the bottom.
- Vacuuming: For larger silk plants, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to remove dust and debris. Use a low suction setting and gently run the brush over each leaf or petal.
- Spot cleaning: For stubborn stains or dirt buildup, you can use a mixture of warm water and mild soap to spot clean silk plants and flowers. Dip a soft cloth into the soapy water and gently wipe down each leaf or petal, being careful not to rub too hard and damage the silk material.
- Using a silk plant cleaner: There are also specialized silk plant cleaners available on the market that are designed to clean and restore silk plants and flowers. Follow the instructions on the cleaner carefully and use it according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Avoiding water: Unlike other types of artificial plants, silk plants and flowers should not be exposed to water or moisture, as this can damage the silk material. If you need to spot clean them with water, make sure to use a damp cloth and avoid soaking the plant or flower.
How Often Should You Clean Fake Plants
The frequency of cleaning fake plants depends on various factors, including the location of the plant, the surrounding environment, and how frequently the plant is handled. Here are some general guidelines:
- Indoor fake plants: If your artificial plant is located indoors in a relatively clean and dust-free environment, it’s recommended to clean it at least once every three to six months. However, if the plant is located in a high-traffic area, near a window, or in an area with poor air quality, it may require more frequent cleaning.
- Outdoor fake plants: If your fake plant is located outdoors, it may require more frequent cleaning due to exposure to weather elements, such as wind, rain, and dust. It’s recommended to clean outdoor fake plants at least once every two to three months, or more frequently if necessary.
- Handled fake plants: If your fake plant is frequently touched or handled, it may require more frequent cleaning to remove oils, dirt, and other contaminants. It’s recommended to clean handled fake plants at least once a month, or more frequently if necessary.
Materials for Cleaning Artificial Plants
There are various materials you can use to get the job done effectively. Here are some of the most commonly used materials for cleaning artificial plants:
- Soft-bristled brush: A soft-bristled brush is an excellent tool for cleaning fake plants, as it can easily remove dust and dirt without damaging the leaves or branches. You can use a small paintbrush or a makeup brush to clean small or delicate plants, while a larger brush or feather duster can be used for bigger plants.
- Microfiber cloth: A microfiber cloth is a gentle and effective way to remove dust and dirt from artificial plants. It’s soft, absorbent, and won’t scratch the surface of the leaves or branches. Simply dampen the cloth with water or a cleaning solution, and gently wipe down the plant to remove any buildup.
- Compressed air: Compressed air can be an effective way to blow away dust and debris from artificial plants, especially hard-to-reach areas in fake green walls. You can use a can of compressed air, which can be found at most office supply stores, to gently blow away dust and dirt from the plant.
- Water and mild soap: If your faux plant is particularly dirty, you can use a mixture of warm water and mild soap to clean it. Simply dip a soft cloth into the solution and gently wipe down the plant, being careful not to scrub too hard and damage the leaves or branches. Make sure to rinse the plant thoroughly with clean water and allow it to dry completely before returning it to its spot.
Overall, the key to cleaning artificial plants is to be gentle and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the plant.
How Do You Clean Fake Plants with Hairspray
If you need a fast method to clean your fake plants without exploring the more painstaking work of removing the dust by cloth, water, etc., you should learn how to clean fake plants using hairspray. It’s pretty simple. Just get a hairspray that won’t damage the material of the plants, shake it well, and spray. It will dislodge some of the dust (a higher percent) and leave behind a sheen.
How to Keep Artificial Plants Dust-Free
Artificial plants are a great way to add greenery to your space without the hassle of caring for real plants. However, just like real plants, artificial plants can accumulate dust and dirt over time, making them look dull and unattractive. Here are some tips on how to keep fake plants dust-free, as well as how to keep artificial trees dust-free:
- Regular dusting routine: Using the various materials used for cleaning fake plants, frequently clean the artificial plants. This is the first line of defense against dusty plants.
- Apply a dust repellent spray: There are several dust repellent sprays available in the market that can be used on artificial plants. These sprays work by creating a barrier that prevents dust and dirt from accumulating on the leaves and branches.
How to Shine Artificial Plants
Artificial plants can lose their luster over time due to many reasons. Here are some tips to restore the shine to your artificial plants:
- Use a cleaning solution: Mix warm water with a small amount of mild soap or vinegar, and use a soft cloth to gently wipe down the leaves and branches of the plant. This will remove any dirt or dust that may be dulling the shine of the plant.
- Use a silk plant cleaner: There are several silk plant cleaners available in the market that are specifically designed to clean and shine artificial plants. These cleaners work by creating a protective coating that enhances the shine and protects the plant from further dust and dirt buildup.
- Use a hair dryer: After cleaning your artificial plant, you can use a hair dryer on the cool setting to gently blow away any remaining dust or dirt. This will also help to restore the shine to the leaves and branches of the plant.
- Use a furniture polish: Furniture polish can be used to add shine to artificial plants. Simply spray the furniture polish on a soft cloth and gently wipe down the leaves and branches of the plant. Be sure to choose a furniture polish that is safe for use on artificial plants.
Trust DYartificial to Source Artificial Plants
DYartificial is a professional China artificial plants company with over two decades of experience in manufacturing and supplying high-quality fake plants that look exactly like their real counterparts. While other manufacturers use recycled materials, our products are made with 100% new materials for quality assurance.
With a 20,000 sqm factory that’s fully-equipped with state-of-the-art machinery and highly-skilled staff, you can trust us with your easy-to-clean artificial plants that can be used indoors and outdoors. For optimal quality, our products are created with anti-UV and fire-retardant particles that make them resistant to sunlight and fire. They are guaranteed not to fade for 3 years nor catch fire for 2 years.
While the lead time in the industry is 2-3 months, we complete all production and delivery within 30-45 days. At DYartificial, we also provide you with tips on how to clean large artificial plants, flowers, and trees for a longer service life.
You can contact us to get started.